Sunday, August 15, 2010

Roll the Credits

My favorite part of watching a movie is the very beginning. At night, darkened room, cozy on the couch under a blanket. I love the studio intro shot. The drumbeat of 20th Century Fox. The sunburst behind the Colombia statue. Globe turning to reveal Universal. DreamWorks in the clouds.

Maybe it's because when I was a kid, bedtime on the weekend was "whenever the movie is over." Of course, I never wanted to go to bed, and the very beginning was as far as I would ever be from the inevitable argument, "just half of the next movie…I promise I won't be crabby tomorrow… pleeeeeeaase!"

I rented "Adventures in Babysitting" every weekend when I was little. The strip of blue coming across the screen with a lighting burst to reveal "Touchstone," leading into The Chrystals "And Then He Kissed Me." Those first minutes were filled with so much anticipation. Knowing how much I was going to laugh at Daryl. I couldn't wait to be scared of Handsome John Pruitt's hook. Be annoyed by Brenda and her whining. Sing along with "Babysitting Blues." Ahh…so much ahead.

The last 20 minutes were always the worst. Knowing bedtime was looming. The end was near. Even trying to watch it again the next morning, it was never the same.

Living in Paris has been an experience I will treasure for the rest of my life. I learned so much more than I could have ever imagined about myself, about relationships and friendships. Most of all, I learned that when it's time to take a leap, you have to jump. 

...And, I suppose I'm a better cook.

Anthony, Carolyn, E'Lane and Gillian. How could I have made it without you? I hate to even guess…but surely it would have been a lot less fun. When I get back to the US, if any of you wonder who I am talking about. In a nutshell, meet my friends:

Anthony has usually accomplished more before I wake up than I will all day. He is a sponge; taking notes, re-writing them, noting all the chef's remarks, and blogging about it all. Daily. And fast, fast, fast. He walks fast, runs circles around us in the kitchen and he seems to know a lot about traffic school (hmmm?). He has a wonderful husband who happens to be adorable and hilarious. How Anthony puts up with all of us girls and our drama is a miracle. But we are lucky he does. While my head is in the clouds, he's saved me more than once from being hit by a bus or moving vehicle. A lifesaver, literally!

Carolyn, Carolyn, Carolyn. My very first friend at school. Set up by none other than my mother. My mom came to demo one of first weeks of school, the two of them got to talking and realized we lived near each other. I thought, oh great…just what I need is mom setting me up play dates. Turns out, we hit it off and the rest is history. Carolyn is the first person to text me in the morning…whether it's to laugh about the night before or to conspire about the day's plan. Usually it's a little of both. She is hilarious. Loves her family. And is the kind of friend that will bring you Pierre Herme macaroons to cheer you up when you haven't gotten out of your bathrobe for two days. Our iTunes libraries bear uncanny similarities. We have a lot in common…except she loves ketchup.

E. Lane. Bobo. E'Lane could almost write a book on being a good friend. She has a way of knowing when to say the right thing, or to say nothing at all. The person I can be completely silly with in the backseat of a rental car careening around windy, narrow roads in Italy. The friend who always wants the best for everyone and reminds us to get out of our beaten path and try new things. She is the spiritual one among us, always confident that God has a plan. Even on her worst day, she will always greet you with a smile and hug. She's not afraid of taking a risk, in fashion or in life. The two of us can leave my apartment in the morning setting out to get a cup of coffee, and 8 hours later realize we are on the complete other side of the city. Wandering, chatting, trying new things. 

If Anthony is our head, Carolyn our heart, and E'Lane our spirit…than Gillian is surely our fire. Our Irish lass is closer to home than all of us, so she turns up missing now and again. (We joke that she should just get an apartment next to Charles DeGaulle.) But, she always breezes back into town with a story. Her Irish brogue and idioms keep us rolling. Gill (that's like "Jill" for all us Americans) is the friend you're dying to share news with. She will be happier than you about something exciting or nearly call in a hit with the Irish mob if someone's done you wrong. And if there's ever an idea of a swanky night out in a little black dress, Gill is the first person to hop to and make a reservation at the latest hot spot. The girl with a plan who get's it done. The girl who seeks out passion and is an endless romantic.

How funny that we all decided to start school at Le Cordon Bleu beginning in January 2010 in Paris. How funny we all took the leap at the same time.
Carolyn, me, Anthony, E'Lane & Gill
Superior Student Dinner, August 2010

Yes, this movie is ending. It's a bummer. And while I wish I could say, "one more half before bedtime,"  I guess it's always best to leave wanting more. 

And there's always reunion specials ; )

3 comments:

  1. I'm with E'Lane - maybe no coincidence that you all found yourselves at LCB in Jan 2010...hmmm.... I'm happy you found this family of friends. XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers to you and the gang. I'm happy you found each other and I trust, by now, they know how lucky they are to have you as their friend. Thanks for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauren, First, I hope this gets into the comment section as my comments on your last blog are nowhere to be found. Second, this note made me feel as if I were there with you and your great friends. Taking a step like this is never easy but oh so great when it turns out like yours. Love, UG

    ReplyDelete